Friday, November 8, 2013

A lesson in buttercream

Ok I'm done stalling kittens lets get down to it. Today I am going to talk about the most common frosting you will see. 90 percent of cupcakes will be topped with a buttercream. It is very sweet and easily dyed and piped. Around here we like a lighter more whipped frosting that I will do next week but for now we are creaming some butter.
I'm pretty sure that stain is chocolate but I'm not willing to test that theory.
Look how easy that bitch is! As long as you have any kind of mechanical mixer (of the arms of a Greek deity) you can make this frosting. It's four ingredients that I keep in my kitchen at all times. First things first, you can pretty much always tell that you are making a buttercream when the first thing you do is cream some butter. And before any of you start, no it doesn't have to be butter. The first time I ever made a frosting it was crisco based (with mint) and it was almost 10 years ago in a Gourmet Cooking class I took. It's where I learned to make a rose out of frosting, a skill I have never used since. Ok, I'm rambling time for a picture.
classy!
After the butter and the sugar, you just need to add whatever flavor you want and milk it until you get the right texture. You might notice that in that picture there is very little frosting. This caused me much distress after I started using it and realized that I didn't even have enough to cover half my cookies. The lesson in all of this is don't make half a batch unless you want to wind up crying on the floor. So after doing that and starting from scratch to make it all over again you end up with something that looks wonderfully tasty. 
Pink is the tastiest color
I made it strawberry because that sounded damn good, and it totally was. I really wanted to pipe the frosting onto the cookies but didn't have enough. I used a butter knife and some pink sprinkles to make it look as pretty as possible. I did not the best job, which is sad because I've made this before. I promise next week there will be no hysterics as I bring you my favorite frosting of all time. What could it be?! Oh hold on I almost forgot...
Cookies!
For my favorite thing of the week, I went back to youtube. I found this awesome channel packed full of show tunes in a bunch of different languages. Have you ever wondered what rent would sound like in Hungarian? Or perhaps what a group of Brazilians sounds like singing Sondheim? Well wonder no more because all your answers are right there. Notable mentions: "The Circle of Life" in Japanese and "We Both Reached for the Gun" in Dutch.

No comments:

Post a Comment