Friday, November 1, 2013

Back from the Dead: Part 2

Welcome back, my wonderful whiskers! It's finally November, a month of turkeys and parades and month long holidays! I might not have any of the first two things, but I am proud to introduce you to No-Bake November! It's totally the coolest holiday that I just invented right now. All this month I will be focusing on non baked goods, specifically frostings. Just to clarify, I will be baking this month. I mean, I have to have something to put the frosting on. And if it turns out interesting in any way then you will get a special Thursday quick blog. So do you remember yesterday when I said I made ganache for the first time? Let me tell you all about it!
Hey it's this guy again!
As an introduction, I want to say that I picked the easiest recipe I could find. I wanted to learn some basics before going crazy. I used this recipe because it had only two ingredients and it looked exactly like what I wanted to top my cheesecakes with. All you really need is 12 oz of chocolate and a cup of heavy whipping cream, which took me forever to find at the store. I used semi-sweet chocolate chunks because I already had that. 
This looks more right
You start by bringing the cream to a boil and then immediately removing it from heat. I used a fucking huge pot so I added a little more cream to compensate from what would get stuck to the sides. Also I kept the heat probably a little lower than I probably needed too. Yes it took forever but I didn't scorch it and that's rare for me. Once it hits a noticeable boil, pour it right on top of the chocolate. The tricky part is making sure you stir it enough so that everything melts equally but not so much that it starts to whip.
Unless you are into that kinda thing
I somehow found the exact right stirring equation because it looked and tasted great. I used my little melon baller looking mother fucker to spoon it onto the cheesecakes. Then I shook them around less gently then I should have, to make it even on top. Pop them in the fridge for a few hours and baby, you've got a stew going. 
Mmm, stew
I had lots of ideas for what to put on top of them to make it prettier but in the end, what's prettier than ganache. It's got a surface so shiny you can almost watch yourself eat it. I would suggest doing that too because it's a memory you are going to want to keep for a lifetime. Adding to the list of favorite things I have this week is Jacksmith. It's a flipline game similar to all the papa's cooking games except you make weapons and then fight with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment