Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sugar cookies, you're the one!

Welcome back to my kitchen, all my whiskers-in-training. This Saturday is my mother-in-laws birthday and because I'm not one of those people who hate their spouses mom, I made her cookies. I have attempted to make sugar cookies in the past and I can't say I was pleased. After all the mixing, cooling, rolling, cookie cuttering and baking, I was left with sad, thin stars with burnt edges. I was determined not to let that happen again. I used this recipe mostly because it needed no refrigeration or rolling pins. I will give you a quick rundown of my experience with it but there's not much I can add about it. The blog I found it on was cute, easy to print, had great pictures and was hilarious. In short, I think I hate that bitch. Why you gotta make me look bad! In contrast to all of that, I am going to start with this picture.
Eww
That is what the first step looks like. You aren't going to see that in any of those fancy pictures. Really though, why would you want too. That is unsalted butter and vegetable shortening. I am strongly urging you not to taste it. It's probably gross. You add sugar to that which apparently makes it edible and according to my husband "not bad." After that you mix the vanilla and eggs. I have more graphic pictures of these stages but I cant' in good conscience show you those. I'll just skip to the part where it looks like cookies. 
Yay it looks like food!
The source material then says to scoop them out with a rounded tablespoon onto the parchment paper. To that I said that I "don't give a hot damn!" and used my Little melon baller looking mother fucker. She also said it's supposed to make 26 cookies and I ended up with around 34 so....whoops. Then bake them for around 8 minutes and let it stay on the hot baking sheet to get the bottoms a little browner, then cool.  
A winner is me!
There you go friends, a sugar cookie recipe that even I can't screw up. Tomorrow I will tell you all about the adventure in buttercream. It...didn't go great. To wrap things up I leave you with my favorite thing for this week which is this random meme from two years ago. Yes two years ago, yes it's still my favorite thing, that is how amazing it is.  That's all for today kittens, tune in tomorrow! Same internet time, Same internet channel!

No comments:

Post a Comment